Monday, December 12, 2011

Potato and Broccoli Soup

Potato and Broccoli Soup


The basic recipe came from Rachel Ray. But sometimes, I have to tweak things because of what I have in the house. It turned out so good, I wanted to share!!

Ingredients
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used vegetable oil)
6 slices bacon, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4 tablespoons flour
1 quart chicken stock
2 cups leftover mashed potatoes or more!!
8 ounces Mexican blend cheese
1 or 2 bunches of steamed broccoli chopped (or 1 small bag of frozen broccoli)
Chopped chives, more shredded cheese and sour cream, for garnish

In a medium pot or Dutch oven, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.

Drain off excess bacon fat from the pot and add butter. When it is melted, add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour into the pot and cook with a wooden spoon for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a bubble. Cook until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes.

(I didn't have a fresh onion so I used dried onions)

Whisk in mashed potatoes and broccoli, then stir in the cheddar cheese and cook until the potatoes are hot and the cheese is melted.

(I used frozen broccoli, I threw it in the pot frozen. To speed up the cooking time of the broccoli, I scooped the broccoli and some soup out and put it in the blender until creamy. I also put some of the bacon in the blender too. Mine ended up being a little thick, so I added some milk. I then put it back in the pot and brought it back to a light boil for a few minutes. Remember to stir frequently to the bottom burning!!)

Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the reserved bacon, sour cream, cheese and chopped chives. (I didn't have chives)

I also served with freshly baked rolls.

This was super yummy, if I do say so myself. My kids were a little turned off by the green color but half of them still said it was good, and all the adults loved it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment