Monday, December 7, 2009

Corn Chowder



Corn Chowder


I learned how to make this a long time ago from my mom!!

At least 1 package of Bacon
1 Large Yellow Onion
5 – 10 lbs of Potato’s
2 Cans of Cream Style Sweet Corn
granulated beef or chicken bullion (if you can’t find granules, cubes are fine!)
all purpose flour
water
salt & pepper


Peel Potato’s and cube, then cut up bacon and onion . Set aside until needed.

Heat up a large pot and add Bacon. Cook bacon until crispy but be careful not to burn it. (If I am making more then 1 package of bacon I will cook most of the bacon in a separate pot to prevent burning. You need to cook some in your soup pot for the bacon grease and bits and pieces.)

After bacon is fully cooked, remove bacon from pot and most of the grease.

In a little of the bacon grease in your pot, sauté your onions until they are transparent.

Add prepared potato’s and enough water to cover them. Bring to a medium boil and let cook for about 10 minutes or until soft.

Add the creamed corn and bring back to boil.

Mix about 2 – 3 heaping table spoons of flour with about 2 cups of water. Mix until all the flour is dissolved. Slowly add to pot and stir constantly until soup thickens. You may need to repeat this if you want it thicker.

Add at least 1-2 Tablespoons of Bullion, more may be needed depending on how much flour you used. Taste as you go, so you don’t add too much!! (I prefer Beef Bullion, my Mom prefers chicken bullion).

Add Salt and Pepper to taste.

After Bacon has cooled, crumble into small pieces and you can throw in the pot at this point or let everyone add as they like. I like to throw it back in the pot so we don’t fight over the bacon. We usually make at least 2 packages of bacon because we have lots of sticky fingers that snatch it up while the rest of the soup is cooking. (Yes this would include my self so I can’t get upset with the kids and men when they do it.)

Serve with rolls and you will be in heaven!!

3 comments:

  1. We love this recipe! YOur mom taught me a little differently that this. We tend to use 2 pkgs of bacon and more corn. Abt 3 sometimes 4 cans, pending on flavors. I have never had to cook the bacon in another pan, but I am constantly scraping the bottom to keep it from burning and then the onions help the rest to come off. I have never used bullion, but thought abt it, sometimes it just needs a little boost! i am glad you posted this version so I can adjust mine! (And we all fight over the bacon too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this recipe, but I'm wondering if the "cream of corn" is the same thing as "creamed corn"? or is there actually a soup called "cream of corn"??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cream of Corn or Creamed corn is the same thing. You find it by the regular canned corn, not by the soup.

    ReplyDelete