Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cake Balls

Cake Balls






Warning: Super delicious and Very Addicting!!




-1 cake mix box + ingredients listed on box.
-1 can of coordinating frosting
-1 package of Chocolate Bark, White or Milk Chocolate (It comes packaged like ice cubes, Albertsons and Wal-Mart carry them in the baking isle.)
-Any extra decorating items like nuts, white chocolate bark or sprinkles.

Bake cake as directed on box, and let completely cool.

In a large mixing bowl, crumble cake and add can of frosting and mix together well. I use my stand mixer but you can hand mix it. Once it is mixed together completely and the cake looks moist, you can stop mixing. If you over mix, it is okay but will have more of a truffle texture.

After mixing, cover and place in the refrigerator for an hour. The colder it gets, the easier it is to roll.

Then I use my Pampered Chef small scoop , you can use the medium size if you want bigger cake balls. After scooping all the balls I roll them till they are smooth and firm. Place balls on a small cookie sheet or a 9x13 pan, cover and then return back to the refrigerator for about 1 hour. You can freeze them too. Freezing them tends to make the coating crack more, but it prevents the chocolate from puddling at the bottom. I tend to freeze only when dipping in the White Chocolate.

When balls are cold and ready to dip, Melt your Chocolate Bark. You can microwave or double boil. Instructions for melting should be on the package. I prefer to microwave. I melt in 30 second increments on 60% power. I usually only need to put it in 3-4 minutesto get it melted perfect.

Start dipping balls. I have not found a perfect method to dip balls so just do the best you can. I typically use a fork. I drop the ball into the chocolate, and then pick it up on the end of the fork, (not stabbing it). I then tap the fork lightly to get the excess chocolate off and then drop the balls upside down on the wax paper. I usually have to fix the top to make it smooth. There is usually enough chocolate to do this, but if there is not, quickly dip your fork back into the chocolate and fix it right away.

Place balls on wax paper or a silicon mat.

If you are adding nuts or sprinkles add them immediately after dipping, otherwise they will not stick after chocolate has cooled. For this step, it is nice to have a helper to add the topping while you keep dipping.

If you are decorating with white chocolate lines, you may do this after dipping all the balls. Melt a few cubes in the microwave and dip fork into the chocolate and quickly shake the fork over the top of the balls. This will produce a random design. Or you can use a frosting bag or a zip lock bag and with a small opening at a corner, drizzle the white lines.

Some of my favorite combinations are:

Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake/Milk Chocolate Frosting/Milk Chocolate Melting Bark with White Chocolate drizzled on top.

Betty Corker German Chocolate Cake/Betty Crocker Coconut Pecan Frosting/Chocolate Melting bark with Pecans sprinkled on top. (You could probably use another brand for the cake mix but I highly recommend using Betty Crocker for the Coconut Pecan Frosting.)

White Cake Mix, Milk Chocolate Frosting and Milk Chocolate Melting Bard.

White Cake Mix, White frosting and White Bark

There are endless combinations!! I have found that almost any combination tastes yummy!!

If this is too much work, check out my Cake Ball site, Dipped In Heaven. You can order cake balls from me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe! I love the cake balls! Too bad they have to have sugar in them! Have you tried white cake with the chocolate frosting and then dipped in the chocolate bark? I wonder how that would turn out? Maybe I'll try it?

    ReplyDelete