Monday, January 4, 2010

Chili



Chili

by Eva Hooper



Pinto Beans-1 package

Soak beans overnight in large pot!! Beans may double or triple in size so make sure you add enough water so beans stay below the water line.



After beans have soaked, cook beans on a low simmer, for 2 to 4 hours until tender.



Add:

1 Large can peeled ready to go chopped tomatoes

1 large can tomato sauce

1 small can chopped green chili

1 tablespoon beef bullion




Then Saute until glossy, in a large sauce pan:

1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped

1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped

add to beans




In the same pan brown

1 to 2 pounds of lean hamburger meat.

Drain grease and add to beans.




Salt and Pepper to taste.

Add more beef bullion if needed.




I remember having Chili and Scones every Halloween since I was a child. I have kept the tradition with my own family as well. This is not a heavy chili. It is a lighter, more tomatoey chili and I love it!! If you want it thicker, simply add more beans and meat. I have added diced jalapenos before but most people prefer to eat it with out that heat.




I always double or even triple the recipe when I make it, but I am usually cooking for a crowd. The basic recipe is good for one family with a little left over.




Check out our scone recipe to make with this, or simply serve with cornbread or rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment